I recently had a need to install Stata 10 on Ubuntu 7.10. It’s actually pretty easy.
1. Open a terminal
2. We’re going to have to do a few things as root so type ‘sudo su‘.
3. Type ‘mkdir -p /usr/local/stata10 && cd /usr/local/stata10‘
4. Put the Stata 10 CDROM in your computer. In the terminal, type ‘/media/cdrom0/install‘.
5. Answer the appropriate questions in the installation wizard.
6. When it’s done installing, it will ask you to run ‘./stinit‘. Go ahead and type that in to the terminal.
7. After entering your licensing information, type this: ‘ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3‘
8. You can now start Stata 10 from the commandline with ‘/usr/local/stata10/stata‘ or ‘/usr/local/stata10/xstata‘ if you want the xwindow version.
9. Optionally, you can run ‘ln -s /usr/local/stata10/stata /usr/bin/stata‘ if you want to run Stata with just ‘stata‘ at the commandline (or you could also include the install directory in your path)